Monday, October 11, 2010

Migraines and Crises and Bears, Oh My!

I've got a migraine. I also may have that cold virus I've been fighting for a while. AND I have been dealing with an ongoing family crisis for the past four days or so, which is a 24-hour a day issue that has disrupted my already short sleep. It also overlapped with day job problems (which will start up again tomorrow). I'm not sure I have managed yet to have an unfettered day off this semester.

This is part and parcel of what it is to be a writer. All of you out there who are considering NaNoWriMo, be aware that this will happen to you during the month. You have to learn to deal with it.

Sometimes that means giving in to it. (You have to learn not to do this too often. ) Sometimes you have to erect a physical barrier to it. (I escape to Taco Bell to write when too much is going on at home.) Sometimes you just have to find some smaller or different goals to keep yourself working in the bad times. (Today, I wrote blurbs and considered some art concepts.)

I'm not holding out much hope for getting done on time, and that depresses me, but you just keep soldiering on.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Hope you're feeling better, soon. And that things start looking up at home and work. You're absolutely right--life rears its ugly head and disrupts our plans sometimes and we just squeeze writing in when and if we can!