Friday, April 15, 2011

First Entries in the Hemingway's Baby Shoes Microfiction Blogfest

The first entries in the Hemingways Babyshoes Microfiction Contest have arrived!

Check them out:

Green & Gold by Mike Miller

Door-Stepping by Jez Watts

And more:

He Wore His Son's Baby Shoes by Kaye Linden

Goodbye, Kids! by Uddhav Parab


I started this contest not to promote my blog, but because I want to see more free fiction on the web. Writers need to be read, and fiction writers need to be writing more short interesting fiction on their blogs -- and not just writing about writing.

As Heinlein says: you must write, you must finish what you start, you must refrain from rewriting except to editorial order, you must put it on the market, you must keep it on the market until sold.

Or in other words, in the modern Web 2.0 age, "put it on the market" means you must follow through and get your stuff read. You need people to get to know you through your fiction, and not just through your dazzling blog and twitter personalities.

So to those who are readers, I hope we can provide you with some fun. To those who are writers: get cracking. Remember the deadline is April 30, midnight EST. (Check out the rules here.)

Every Saturday before then, I will post the links of any new entries I receive.

Tomorrow I'll post a couple more flash stories (although no more about baby shoes -- I don't want to compete with the contestants.)

See you in the funny papers.

No comments: