Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday Update - The Times A-Changin Again

A lot of posts on the interwebs this week about how this wild, tumbling joyride we call "Publishing" seems to be shifting into yet another phase.  This time, it's the Indies who are feeling the shake up most, I think. (Although traditional publishing is continuing to shake out from the previous wave.)

The particular post that snags my interest is (Scott William Carter's Tsunami of Wonderful).  He believes the "First Adopter Bounce" period is over, and takes a preliminary look at what this means.  I have been thinking the same thing, as I watch the indie community show signs of stress as the ground shifts beneath their feet.

Kris Rusch has an interesting review of the shake ups -- past and present -- in publishing via a metaphor she saw in politicial news in this week's The Business Rusch

We're also seeing some shake ups that don't seem to be a part of that bigger wave, such as the sudden crackdown we're seeing from many vendors on erotic fiction (including Kobo UK, shutting out ALL indie writers for a time), but I think this too is a sign of the maturing market.


This Week on the Blog

 On Monday I'll post my own take on recent developments, as an introduction to a new feature on my blog.  I think of it as "Artisan Writers and The Road Less Traveled", which is too long of a title for a series.  This new feature will be looking at business, advice and industry developments from the point of view of writers who don't fit the mold in one way or other.  Given the events above, which indicate to me that the new mold isn't exactly formed yet (or is cracking), that may well be all of us.

I don't have a new "Passion" subject started yet for Tuesday, and I'm not ready to start posting a re-introduction to the serial yet for Thursday.  So I'll probably post an Update on Wednesday - musings on how things are going. What I'm working on and not working on. Maybe a little pre-thinking on my next Tuesday passion series: creating my own genre.

Then Friday, the Story Game gets on to the fun stuff: we'll be creating "Character Wheels" for our heroine and hero in the Romantic Suspense game.  We'll talk about what kind of choices make for a good wheel, and what we specifically need for those roles in a Romantic Suspense story.

See you in the funny papers.

2 comments:

Lee McAulay said...

Ooh, I really like your tech takes on ebook publishing. Looking forward to this one!
Cheers,
Lee

The Daring Novelist said...

Thanks, Lee!