Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Art - Spooky Trees for Halloween

Practicing some watercolor brushes in Painter.  This wasn't actually what I planned to do tonight. I was playing with abstracts for backgrounds -- fiddling with blue-on-blue, actually -- and I started following what the brush gave me, and ended up with these decidedly not background trees.

I didn't work the tree on the left as long as on the right. The right one has more layers and more subtlety, especially in the middle/lower trunk.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it's definitely another technique and "look" I want to work with.  I'm wondering if some of the subtler bits of this could be used for text?  There was an interesting period of irregular, hand drawn title text in mid-century pulp covers that this might work for.

See you in the funny papers.


No comments: